OptaSense provides Distributed Acoustic Sensing (DAS) based monitoring solutions for the Road and Rail industries. Our solutions leverage the unique ability of DAS technology to convert existing fibre optic cable into an into an array of distributed sensors which can provide simultaneous monitoring over complete rail or road networks. Our solutions offer asset owners and operators significant performance and operational advantages over alternative sensor solutions.
OptaSense Distributed Acoustic Sensing (DAS) technology converts a standard roadside or trackside single mode telecoms optical fibre cable into an array of distributed sensors to deliver accurate decision support information on the status of the monitored asset.
In the Rail Industry our solutions include applications for:
- Improving Railway Security, including detection of third party intrusion and activities associated with cable theft
- Detection of Rockfall and Landslide events
- Improved Train Positioning and Tracking
- Condition Monitoring, including detection of common rail and rolling stock anomalies such as wheel flats and rail breaks
In the Road industry our Traffic Monitoring Solution delivers the following real-time traffic monitoring applications:
- Average Traffic Speed
- Automated Queue and Congestion Detection
- Journey Times
- Vehicle Count and Flow Rate
A single trackside or roadside deployment of an OptaSense solution can monitor up to 80km of asset. Multiple solutions can be easily networked to provide coverage over extended routes.
Further information on the OptaSense Distributed Acoustic Sensing (DAS) applications for Road and Rail can be found in the links below.