Oil & Gas Agenda magazine recognises OptaSense technology and market leading know how
OptaSense announces its distributed acoustic sensing (DAS) was named winner of the “Best Drilling and Well Technology” in 2013 by Oil & Gas Agenda magazine. The award recognizes those companies who have “shown their ability to drive forward the upstream industry, thanks to their technological innovations and market-leading know-how.”
OptaSense’s range of products include the award winning DAS-VSP™ service as well as DAS-HFP™ its hydraulic fracture profiling tool used to determine the quantitative volume proppant and fluid taken by each perforation cluster. OptaSense DAS services enable gapless measurement coverage along the entire length of the wellbore with many hundreds of channels and are now able to take measurements in places and on a scale not seen before. High temperature wells, in excess of 300°c, such as those used for steam injection, can now be imaged for the first time, whilst highly deviated wells where it is challenging to tractor a geophone array can now be imaged by placing a sensing fibre-optic cable on the production string or coiled tubing.
Commenting on the most recent award, Chief Executive of Optasense, Magnus McEwen-King said: “2013 has been an excellent year of progress for OptaSense and we are pleased to see the oil and gas industry once again recognizing the game changing impact of our innovative fibre sensing services. Our technical innovation in developing new measurement techniques using distributed acoustic sensing is truly world class and matched by our software and data analysis team who deliver Decision Ready Data™ to our customers. Our success lies in providing our customers with data in a useable form at the right time for operational and commercial decisions to be made, which improve yield, reduce costs and lower the safety risk associated with their activities.
Our product development and innovation continues apace and we look forward to 2014 when we will launch new tools for flow measurement, microseismics, and our new Subsea-DAS™ capability. Our underlying development in the technology also continues with a fourth generation of DAS fibre interrogation unit also due in 2014, which will increase the channel count and provide further enhancements to sensitivity and noise floor.”
OptaSense DAS technology and tools have been developed over the last five years in conjunction with Shell and are now deployed in commercial operations across a number of other oil majors around the world.
For further information please contact:
Notes for Editors
About Oil and Gas Agenda
Published in print and digital formats, Oil & Gas Agenda provides a unique blend of in-depth commentary and analysis of the key issues shaping the market, to more than 30,000 key oil and gas sector management and offers a valuable and effective way of reaching and influencing a high spending community of industry leaders.
Notes for Editors
- OptaSense is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the QinetiQ Group
- It is a platform technology which has applications in a number of markets, including infrastructure security where the technology is already in use to monitor 13,000kms of assets, principally providing leak detection and third party intrusion detection for oil and gas pipelines.
- OptaSense is the world leader in Distributed Acoustic Sensing and operating in 40 countries globally with operations across multiple industries including Oil & Gas, Defence & Security, Transport and Utilities.
- Website: www.optasense.com
- A FTSE250 company, QinetiQ uses its domain knowledge to provide technical support and know-how to customers in the global aerospace, defence and security markets. QinetiQ's unique position enables it to be a trusted partner to government organisations, predominantly in the UK and the US, including defence departments, intelligence services and security agencies.
- Follow QinetiQ on twitter @QinetiQ
- Website: www.qinetiq.com